Think collectibles are an old-fashioned pastime? Think again!
The number of collectors out there is growing as fast as the market for collectible items is. Thanks to the reemergence of comic books in popular culture and TV shows that feature antiques and historical memorabilia, the joys of collecting and trading are being explored by more and more people every day. It doesn’t appear as though collecting is on its way out any time soon, either. In fact, there are a few areas of collectibles that newcomers and collecting veterans alike would be wise to investigate.
Naturally, I like to stay up on the latest trends in the world of collectibles here at SAFE Collecting Supplies. So, if you’re looking to start a new collection but you don’t know where to begin, look no further because I’ve got you covered! Here are some of the best investments you can make on collectibles in 2016:
Stamps have been collected for about as long as there have been stamps to use for postage. But the hobby really gained traction during the 1860’s; so much so that stamp collectors got their own nickname: philatelists. Nowadays, some economists and collectors alike think that stamp collecting is dying. This is not the case. The sad truth is that the postal industry is dying and stamp collectors themselves are moving onto greener pastures, leaving behind a treasure-trove of valuable stamps. Investing in stamps as a hobby is a good idea for two reasons:
1. It’s a lot of fun and a great way to share history with your children & grandchildren
2. While stamp values in fact decreased during the 2000’s, over the past few years, people have been getting back into stamps and values have been climbing once again over the past 4 years. On average though, the stamp market has consistently yielded slow, steady returns on investments.
Coins and Currency
Are you naturally observant and meticulous? Do you like organizing things? If so, you’d probably make a fantastic Numismatist! Numismatists are people who collect coins and currency. Coin and currency collecting is a multibillion dollar industry in the United States alone. But don’t think for a minute you have to be rich to enjoy it. There are plenty more people with modest collections and a few cool pieces than those with hordes of rare coins. But why should you start collecting coins and currency?
1. Numismatics is challenging. It’s not like going to the store and picking up an action figure. Numismatics requires great attention to detail and planning for everything, from attending shows to the arrangement of your coins in their cases.
2. Money is valuable, whether you’re looking to make a buck or you’re interested in the value of the satisfaction you’ll get from assembling your own unique collection.
3. Precious metals have also yielded good investment results over the long term and offer an excellent hedge against inflation.
Rocks and Minerals
Playing in the dirt isn’t just for kids and geologists – rockhounds are the amateur stone and mineral enthusiasts among us. This is a very, very hands-on hobby for those who like to keep themselves busy. Whether you want to collect rare rocks and minerals to display, or you want to collect stones to carve and make things with, starting a rock and/or mineral collection is a sound investment for potential hobbyists because:
1. Unlike other collectibles, you can go outside and find rocks. You can also order them online, from magazines, or buy them at stores and trade shows if you’d rather not get your hands dirty. And you can even take trips specifically to get your hands on them. The best thing about rock collecting is the very real possibility that you could stumble across a precious stone. And if the stone(s) you find isn’t valuable, you can carve something out of it!
2. It’s great for those who want to invest, as well as those who want to be frugal. You can start a collection of rare expensive rocks; or, you can start a collection of rocks you found and invest in the tools you’ll need to shape them into something more.
Whether you’re an aspiring philatelist, an amateur rockbound, a fastidious numismatist, or just someone who is bored and wants to try something relaxing and interesting, shops like our’s here at SAFE Collecting Supplies can help you find your calling in the hobby realm. If you’re interested in starting a collection, or if you already have one that you’re looking to add to or upgrade, drop me a line!